Thursday, August 9, 2007

25. Who will rescue a pregnant damsel in distress?

Singapore's 42nd National Day or 42th birthday
Porridge with sweet potatoes dinner at Jalan Leban.


Do I have a poor sense of humour? Yesterday, I tried to tell a joke during dinner to my family but nobody laughed.

At the dinner, there were 3 young adults of around 20 years old. 1 girl and 2 boys and the mother.

I said, "Zoe Tay was reported in the Straits Times to have lost a lot of income because she was not paid as she was pregnant." All Singaporeans know who Zoe Tay is --- the Queen of Caldecott.

"Apparently she was paid on performance. Now that she is pregnant, she cannot work as a movie star. So she might have complained to the press about loss of income. Her contract could be a service contract, not an employment contract.

"In the same Straits Times report, a person commented, 'Who would ever see a movie when a pregnant damsel in distress is rescued?'

No laughter from anybody. The mother had laughed at the joke I told her earlier.

I don't know whether you find this joke funny too? I knew that my audience was not the romantic types.



"Maybe they don't know what a 'damsel' is", the mother comforted me.

I tried to explain to the Internet generation, "A damsel is a young unmarried lady. A damsel in distress is never pregnant in romantic stories. When she has trouble from wicked people, a handsome man will come to save her.

No white knight in shining armour will rescue a pregnant damsel." I mean the damsel is no more single. Know what I mean? The 3 young adults were in a silent serious mode. I shall stop telling such inapproriate jokes at dinner time!

No comments: