Monday, February 4, 2008

131. Hamster with rotting skin

This case illustrates how the internet enables hamster owners to share information
from my hamster cellulitis case photographed 5 years ago.

I have not encountered any more such cases because hamsters in Singapore are low value pets and they seldom receive veterinary treatment.

Yet the owner based in Taiwan managed to ferret out my photograph of 5 years ago and contacted me.

This is the first e-mail from the hamster owner in Taiwan.

>>
>> ----- Original Message ----
>> From: A hamster owner in Taiwan
>> To: judy@toapayohvets.com
>> Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2008 1:40:49
>> Subject: Hamster Cellulitis
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I found your site by searching for hamster symptoms online. One of your sites features a picture of a hamster with yellow/greenish rotting skin on the bottom right of the webpage: http://www.asiahomes.com/singaporerealty/last_word.htm



Picture of a hamster cellulitis case taken by Dr Sing in 2002, 5 years ago!
>>
>> This is the exact same thing that is going on with my hamster right now. Fortunately even though the skin on my hamster looks as awful as that little fella my hamster still looks quite healthy.


>>
>> I live in taiwan and unfortunately do not speak Chinese. The vets we have been going through have not been able to help a lot so far and the condition just seems to be getting worse and worse.
>>
>> They had us soaking the area with saline 3 times a day followed by covering it with iodine. It only seems to be spreading. I'm not sure about what kind of medicine the vet has given us but the hamster will no longer take it even if we try to trick him with treats or the sugar solution they gave us.
>>
>> The doctor just keeps guessing and admitting he doesn't really know what is going on and keeps shrugging it off as cancer but it looks like what your site says is Cellulitis. Is there anyway you could recommend the medicine the hamster should be taking so we can ask the doctor to subscribe it??
>>
>> I am also concerned about the saline since I've read getting hamsters wet can cause wet tail and I've read on another place in your website that iodine can poison the hamster.
>>
>> If you can help out you will be my hero!
>>
>> Your advice would greatly be appreciated! Please help!
>>
>> Catherine


>
> On Jan 29, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Dr Sing KY wrote:
>
>> I am Dr Sing from www.toapayohvets.com IF possible, email me the pictures of the actual infected area.
>>

>>



> ----- Original Message ----
> From: A hamster owner in Taiwan>
> To: Dr Sing KY
> Sent: Wednesday, 30 January 2008 12:42:48
> Subject: Re: Hamster Cellulitis
>

> Dr Sing,
>
> Thank you so much for taking the time to write me. I've attached pictures of the hamster's condition.


>
> It started as a spot as big as a (human) pimple on his left side in a day or two it was as big as a nickel (we took him to the vet that day) and since that time it has grown to what you can see in the pictures. We've been to the vet 3 times so far but no clues and it doesn't seem to be healing well. Some of the skin has broken away but it's hard to say it's getting better.
>
> The area has a really bad odor. The hamster is still eating and drinking and looks fairly healthy even though we're having a hard time giving him his medication. His eyes are a bit sleeping and if he's outside he'll tend to lift up his left front paw.
>
> I really really appreciate you taking the time to write me! You are extremely kind! I had a wonderful vacation in Singapore last year and was amazed at how friendly and kind people are in Singapore. I thought it was just because I was a tourist but I guess I was wrong. Thanks so much!
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Sincerely,
> Catherine
>

On Jan 30, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Dr Sing KY wrote:

> 1. Thanks for your compliments.
>
> 2. The hamster has a severe bacterial infection that had not been responding to antibiotics (I assume the vet had given antibiotics). Or you may have not given the dosage required.
>
> 3. The infection spreads due to your continual swabbing and the hamster continual licking and biting the sore due to intense itchiness.
>
> 4. Can you locate another veterinarian who has experience with hamsters? Ask your expatriate community or Embassy.
>
> 5. On your side, are you prepared to sleep much less? Intensive nursing is required. Some tips are:
>
> 5.1 Remove dead smelly skin with clean scissors.
> 5.2 Put an Elizabeth Collar on the hamster (like in a dog, but you use a thick cardboard to fashion the Collar) at all times.
> 5.3 Cleanse skin with disinfectant and rinse off disinfectant as often at 10X/day. The disinfectant must be rinsed off thoroughly as it irritates the hamster.
> 5.4 Dry skin with tissue paper after cleaning.
> 5.5 Keep skin very dry and exposed to clean air and oxygen.
> 5.6 Hand feed the hamster by hand as many times as possible.
> 5.7. Ensure hamster drinks and measure amount.
> 5.8 Note stool amount and consistency of hamster. If loose stools, there is a problem.
> 5.9 Give oral appropriate antibiotics and low dose of anti-inflammatory (from the vet).
>
> 6. Can you tel me at +65 9668 6468 to discuss further ?
>
> 7. Pl let me know how you manage to fish out my website on the same hamster condition? What search engine you use and how you do it? I will appreciate this info. Many thanks.
>






----- Original Message ----
From:
To: Dr Sing KY

Sent: Monday, 4 February 2008 11:55:58
Subject: Re: Hamster Cellulitis

Dr Sing,

I apologize for the big gap in my correspondence. I ended up getting a really bad case of food poisoning and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days, and have spent a couple of days recovering.

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO much for your advice. We are FINALLY seeing some improvement in my hamster's condition. We found a vet who specializes in hamsters and she put him on better course anti-biotics and thankfully recognized and gave him the same diagnosis you did. She also told us he's a little under weight right now. She didn't want to cut off any of the rotting skin just yet because she said the area was too wide and it may be more difficult for him to heal.

After we rinse off the disinfectant we've been able to very gently rub some of the top loose stuff away (to his comfort level). We can now see an area in the middle underneath that has healed.

It's been a rough couple of weeks and I was sure it was a death sentence for him but it looks like he will pull through.

The only couple of questions I have for you if it's ok. You mentioned to check his stool. His stool color and consistency doesn't look very healthy but is it possible that this is the anti-biotics? I know in my own experience if I take anti-biotics it can mess up my digestive system a bit.

Also I'm still worried, when you say disinfectant is it still ok to use the iodine if we're thoroughly rinsing it? I forget if it was on your site or another I checked that it can potentially poison them if they ingest it.

As far as your website I found it via google and yahoo. On all of the hamster sites I found it impossible to find a picture of what he has and I really had no clue what it could be. I found different pages of your site on many of my searches like "hamster absess" "hamster cancer" "hamster skin cancer". The key that finally gave me your site was "hamster rotting skin". I figured because of the smell this must be what it was. I believe your site was at the top of the search engine for these key words too. If you would like to use my photos to help your article please feel free.

I also have a recommendation for your site. When I was doing my searches like I mentioned your website kept popping up for variety of keywords and I had a feeling eventually I would find my answer on your site because you had more medical photos and better information than most of the other sites but it was very difficult to navigate to find what I was looking for. I didn't want to have to click through all the vet entries to try to find my specific case because it would be time consuming and because as a non-doctor the photos are very disturbing to look at! :) So I would highly recommend you add a search engine onto your site. I've recently done this on my own website and it works beautifully. Through google you can add a free search engine and specify it to only search your domain or even specify a few domains for it to return search results for. The only branding google puts on it is to put inside the search field "google custom search" but this disappears as soon as you start typing in the field. The code is extremely easy to integrate and it can take as little as two minutes to add it in. Here's the website:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse/


Could you please send me your office mailing address so that I can send you a thank you?

Thanks again and have a wonderful new year!
Catherine




1. Thanks for your detailed reply, permission to use your hamster pictures and suggestions of a search engine. My site is disorganised as I need to use my spare time to edit and write to educate pet owners.

2. It is incredible that you can even locate my hamster picture of cellulitis. That was so long ago. In Singapore, more hamster owners in 2008 are getting the vets to treat their sick hamsters compared to 5 years ago. A kinder younger generation has grown up.

3. To answer your 2 questions (reproduced as follows):

The only couple of questions I have for you if it's ok. You mentioned to check his stool. His stool color and consistency doesn't look very healthy but is it possible that this is the anti-biotics? I know in my own experience if I take anti-biotics it can mess up my digestive system a bit.

ANSWER. Pl give me the name of the antibiotics being used. If the stools are loose, stop the antibiotics for the time being. Otherwise the hamster will get severe diarrhoea and die.

Also I'm still worried, when you say disinfectant is it still ok to use the iodine if we're thoroughly rinsing it? I forget if it was on your site or another I checked that it can potentially poison them if they ingest it.

ANSWER. I did suggest the use of any disinfectant but did not name the type to be used. A very mild disinfectant is to be used and this must be thoroughly rinsed off with clean warm water. The bedding must be clean tissue paper rather than wood shavings for the time being.

I disagree with the vet about cutting off the rotting skin. They contain bacteria and other micro-organisms and being around just simply affect the healing of the wound. That is why I ask you to snip them off.

Let me know the name of the antibiotics used. Thanks for taking so much time to reply to me. Hamsters are low value pets and most Singapore owners seldom bring them to see the vets. I am glad you bother with your hamster and will appreciate some pictures of progress in treatment. I like your blog. Keep up your good work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.

Mollysaurus Rex said...

wow, thats amazing that someone was able to help you. My friend and I are hamster owners and I am on the search on trying to find what might have been wrong with his hamster, and reading a story like this is very uplifting. Its just so nice to know that someone out there can help and cares! I hope your hammy is healthy!

crushgirl10 said...

Thanks for finally filling me in on my hamsters condition. I hope now he will finally begin to heal as I heed your advise!

~ Sari Rogers
Grand Rapids, MI