Tuesday, September 25, 2007

60. "Is my dog going to be all right?" the tall sun-tanned man asked.

"Will my Jack Russell be all right?" the tall sun-tanned blond-haired young man was worried as he checked his dog into the Surgery. "This 7-month-old dwarf Jack Russel is like a son to me."



I was surprised as so far, nobody asked this question. But then, nearly all my clients were non-Caucasian.

"Neuter is a very common surgery," I said. "It takes a short time unlike those complicated surgeries. Normally the dog does not die during anaesthesia." His dog was in excellent body condition and well muscled too.

Xyla 0.2 ml and gas anaesthesia. The dog was put under 1% maintenance although 2% would be better.

Suddenly the dog moved as I incised the skin. I stopped the surgery as he was on the borderline between surgical anaesthesia and waking up. The gas dosage was increased for a minute to 8% and then dropped to 1.5%.

He went back to sleep at 1.5%. No more problem. He woke up at the end of the surgery, as if he had a good nap.



As for the owner, I asked what he was doing in Singapore. His profession of fashion photography must be glamorous---travels and seeing the world and photographing models for magazines like Vogue! This is one lucky dog as he gets to see the world and meet fashion models with his master who cares a lot for him. Mark is supposed to get a "passport" for the Jack Russell.



"Never heard of an animal passport?" Mark shook his head.

"There is such a thing," I said. "Check it out with the dog transport people!"

No comments: