Tuesday, July 24, 2007

11. My French Bulldog barks at mum and dad daily

"I want to sell my French Bulldog," the slim young man with the fair complexion showed me the black and white dog in his mobile phone. "She has good pedigree. I bought her for S$2,500. He bites anyone who comes near her, sometimes when she is eating, sometimes for no reason. She barks at my parents every morning and then runs away. She will bite them if they go near her."


"She is a puppy and is just nibbling at your ankles in play," I said without knowing more about the age of the dog.

"She is starting to protect her food --- food aggression should be stopped." I continued.

"She is 9 months old," the young man laughed.

"This dog will be a danger to any family," I replied. "At 9 months, a dog breeder may be interested in her, but will not pay you anywhere close to $2,500." I phoned up one dog breeder.

The breeder asked first about the colour. Then he replied, "Black and white French bulldogs are not in demand."

"What makes her behave like that and how to stop the bite aggression?" I wondered.

I was treating his 9-year-old Miniature Schnauzer for hair loss and itchiness. This dog went to a new groomer and came back with skin itchiness. But it also had smelly brownish black anal sac oil. 2 large 3"x3" two circular grey thickened areas of the backside without hair indicated that this dog had rubbed and licked her backside for some time, causing hyperpigmentation of the skin.

At 9 years old, she has the heat and is now having false pregnancy. Her breast tissues were swollen noticeably and some clear brown milk was expressed from her nipple.

"No wonder she was hiding in a place some 6 weeks ago," the owner recalled.

The young man had also bought another Miniature Schnauzer for S$5,000 so as to get her into the dog show. This was a connoiseur of dogs, if there is such a term. Presently, the French Bulldog is staying with a friend.

"Does she bite him?" I asked.

"Yes," he said solemnly.

I had the stereotype that a biting aggressive dog is a male. I was mistaken when the owner said this dog was a female.

This could be an alpha. She must have more testosterone (male hormone).

Would removal of the ovaries or using anti-testosterone resolve this problem? The ovaries produces female hormones mostly. So will the surgery help? But I don't think the owner wants to spay her.

Dog training may help. Or may not. She will be very aggressive when she grows much older. She may be put to sleep unless she changes her "mindset".

No comments: