Sunday, September 30, 2007

64. Veterinary Anatomy and an "MRT spay"

THE BOY WHO WANTS TO BE A VET


"A bone has so many prominences and holes and I need to know and identify the various apsects," the first-year veterinary student was trying to tell what he was studying to his mum. Mum had managed to get him away from his girlfriend to have dinner with her. She said to the boy who wanted to stay trim and slim and was careful of his intake of calories, "A bone is just a bone. Eat the last pork rib."

Veterinary Anatomy studies can be a very boring subject to the first-year veterinary undergraduate.

But it is a matter of life, death and sound reputation to a practising veterinarian.

Last week, I was vaccinating puppies at a Pet Shop. For want of some common topics to converse with her, I asked her whether she would refer her clients' dogs for spays to me. The recent law that Singapore dogs caught with unlicensed dogs would be fined $5,000 had led to an increase in spay operations for vets. A sterilised dog's annual licence fee is $14.00 compared to $70.00.

Do I sound a bit desperate by soliciting from the pet shop? Or is it good business practice?



The pet shop girl arched her eyebrows and frowned, "I never recommend any of my customers to a vet for spay. One of my customers was so angry recently. She kept complaining to me that the veterinarian had cut a very long wound on her female dog. She said that it was an MRT (subway) line! So, I don't refer any customers to any vet."

At least I know her position and policy. I must work harder to build my practice on my own merits.

"Sometimes, a very long incision into the skin may be necessary. There may be bleeding or some complications of surgery and a long skin incision is needed to locate the bleeder. If not, the dog bleeds to death after the spay." I replied. Every vet would encounter this situation once in his career.

The pet shop owner had her reputation to protect, "This customer was still angry yesterday, at the extremely long incision on her poor dog---an MRT line. Kept moaning about it.

"By the way, how long an incision you cut during spay?" she asked me.

I replied, "Usually 1.5 to 2 cm long if there are no complications like bleeding. I usually advise 3 months after the end of heat so that the ovaries and womb are not fragile and bleed easily. It is much safer."

The pet shop girl was not convinced about my experiences or lack of. I could not convince her.

"Is there a portfolio of spay done?" Vets usually do provide portfolios of work done like models or plastic surgeons.

I said, "Maybe you can see some pictures at my website." She was surprised I had one.



I was there for the vaccination and microchipping of puppies and some free consultations. Nowadays, I seldom provide such services as they are time-consuming. But it is good to get out of the surgery to feel the 'pulse' of the pet market place.



Veterinary anatomy is a very boring and difficult subject for the first-year student because they don't see the relevance. A sound knowledge of veterinary anatomy is essential as the veterinarian is also a surgeon.



I hope this story will make the study easier and have included pictures of the anatomical positions to spay a big Golden Retriever and the follow-up.

No comments: