Tuesday, November 6, 2007

95. The hatchet man

"My son told me he got 16 out of 20 marks for his essay, no thanks to you," the mum spoke to me as a matter of fact. "You had severely criticised his writing when he asked you to review his essay."

Mother Juliet is a very good people manager in a corporation. I believe the her subordinates love her and wants to work with her when she is transferred out of the section.



As for me, I don't have time for being nice to students who need to complete their writing project. I just have little time for myself.

Juliet's son had not written an essay which was easy to read. I said it was written as a quick draft and needed to be re-written with more references.

Why not let Mum Juliet review his essay? She would not do it. So, the hatchet man gets the blame and no credit for his success!

In another case, a mother asked me to help her polytechnic son who wanted to profile me as a "successful" professional. The son had to write on "industry, person or company" success story. The poor teenager, probably around 17 years old interviewed me. We went to a puppy pet shop. I read his second draft after a good lunch treat from the mother and met the family at Crystal Jade in Toa Payoh. The mother had presented me mooncakes and a nice grasshopper present.

Still the poor boy's draft of me was not reading smoothly. I had to tell him to re-write the 3rd time if he wanted good marks. He is still at it. I spent some few hours with him.

Writing is hard work. A hatchet man's job for students of writing is even harder and time consuming!

No comments: