Friday, November 30, 2007

110. A gigantic breast tumour in a dog

E-MAIL TO DR SING DATED 4 DEC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: ...@yahoo.com>
To: Dr Sing KY
Sent: Tuesday, 4 December 2007 12:50:40
Subject: Re: Please help the dog

Hi Dr. Sing,

I am Ms Ng here. So did you manage to talk to the dog`s owner?
How is it?



Did she agree to let the dog does the op? If yes, pls let me know the time? Thanks.


Regards,
....

E-MAIL REPLY FROM DR SING

No tel call from the owner although his friend who was present at the Surgery would have informed him of the high anaesthetic risk of surgery.

I did not tel the owner to talk to him because he will only think of one thing: The vet (me) is a salesman trying to sell my services.
Therefore I don't phone owners as they feel pressured to make a decision.

If the tumour is not removed, the dog is likely to die a slow painful death due to bacterial infection of the big tumour and the bacterial toxins inside this huge tumour affecting his heart over some weeks. If surgery is performed, the 20-year-old dog may die on the operation table.

The ill will created by a dog's death invariably harms a vet's reputation built up with great difficulty over the years. In my experience, when there is a death of a pet, the owner or his family and friends in Singapore usually blame only one person - the veterinary surgeon. They bad-mouth the vet for all who care to listen.

Seldom do they blame themselves for belated treatment. Some write malicious false allegations to the veterinary authorities to solicit and get an investigation. Some get lawyers to sue.

Personally, I had never seen or talked to the dog owner in person. I assess that the 8-year-old dog with mammary carcinoma bigger than the feet of an adult man has less than 50% chance of not dying under general anaesthesia.



Hence, I do not tel the owner to get the surgery done. This is a matter for the owner to decide as there is a very great anaesthetic risk of the 20-year-old dog dying on the operation table.

Singapore does not have a charitable animal foundation like the PDSA (People's Dispensary for Small Animals) in the UK. In the PDSA, low-income dog owners can get their dogs treated at low fees.

I distinctly remember the PDSA for one reason --- a Jaguar. No, they were not treating the big wild cat!

I was seeing practice with an Englishman, a private vet. He offered his services once a fortnight as a volunteer. He drove me to the PDSA. I was a fourth-year vet student. That was in 1973.

A big Jaguar car drove up to the PDSA clinic. The driver brought in a dog for treatment. The English vet told me that the PDSA was meant for disadvantaged families. Maybe your foundation may look into starting a similar project like the PDSA.

If this 8-year-old dog had been spayed and her mammary tumour removed earlier, she would be living a better quality and pain-free life now.


Best wishes to you.

No comments: